The Slugs Eating

Slugs belong to a large group of animals called the Molluscs. This group includes clams, squid, and octopus, oysters as well as slugs and snails. Slugs are most closely related to snails; in fact, slugs are generally thought of as snails without shells. Slugs vary in length, depending on species and age, from 1/4 inch to as much as 10 inches. They are elongate with a prominent dorsal, fleshy mantle that encloses the vital organs.

What do slugs eat?...Slugs eat many kinds of plants. Corn, lettuce, beans, and flowers of all kinds are but a few of the hosts. Ripened strawberries are particularly attractive to slugs. Slugs may totally consume young plants or chew large, ragged unsightly holes in foliage. When slugs move or glide across surfaces, they leave a slime trail which appears silvery when dry. This is a good indication of what did the damage, even if the "guilty party" is no longer present. Slugs are particularly dependent on moisture for development and extent of activity; thus, losses from slugs will be more serious during rainy, cooler weather.

Slugs are hermaphroditic or organisms with both female and male sex organs. In the early part of their lives, slugs are males, and as they grow older they develop the female organs. Slugs do not need a partner to reproduce, yet most slugs use partners to mate. They tend to lay anything from three to around 500 eggs at a time, depending on the species. This is possibly why slugs are such successful organisms.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

great site, i love it. thank for your information..

Becky said...

i've noticed that when the slugs come out at night they eat the dead slugs from the previous night... do you know if that is normal?

Anonymous said...

Very informative and interesting. We have slugs that come into our bedroom at night and through our shower. I thought since they come through all the time we might as well feed them! I discovered they liked popcorn but then went online in search of better options and found myself here!

Kayla said...

This was helpful! I used it to fact-check my silly comic blog, where a slug eyes a tasty leaf. After I posted it, I thought, "Oh no! What if slugs don't eat leaves?" But to my relief, they do. Whew!

Unknown said...

I found a slug in my shower for the second time a few two days ago. It scared the crap out of me so much that I ran up to the kitchen to get some salt. A few hours after I doused it, I went back to look at it and I actually felt a little guilty. Especially now, since I found out that they're vegetarian

Unknown said...

Meow

Anonymous said...

so did i ifound a slug in my shower so i wanted to keep it so i got on my xbox 360 and looked up what they eat then bam i founed my self hear

Charlie said...

My 4 year old found a giant slug today. We made a habitat for her and She is taking her to school tomorrow. Named her Lily. It's been an awesome learning experience for her and me. Thanks for the info. Lily is enjoying her strawberry now. :)